Stories from our diocese
You are here
Home > News
Funding Boost for Holy Trinity Coventry
03/01/19

Holy Trinity Church Coventry has received a funding boost in the shape of an £8000 National Churches Trust Community Grant for its project to install accessible toilets to make the church comfortable for all.

The church is one of 54 churches and chapels in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland that are set to benefit from rescue funding of £310,060 from the National Churches Trust, the UK’s church support charity.

Huw Edwards, Broadcaster and Journalist and Vice-President of the National Churches Trust said:

“At the heart of communities in cities, towns and villages, churches are a treasure trove of architecture, history and faith. I’m delighted that Holy Trinity, Coventry, will remain at the centre of the local community with the help of a £8,000 National Churches Trust Community Grant. This will help ensure the future of this historic Coventry church, one of the largest medieval churches in England with a spire 72 metres high.”

The project

Holy Trinity Church will replace its inadequate toilets with a modern toilet area, with accessible baby changing facilities.

The provision of new toilets will, it is hoped, lead to greater use of the building during the weekdays and the evening, and will be a venue for concerts and school visits.  The new facilities should also attract more visitors to the historic church with its intact charnel house, thirteenth century Doom Painting, and the Priest’s Rooms – the oldest rooms in Coventry.

The church

Holy Trinity Church dates from 1131. It is one of the largest medieval churches in England, with a spire of 72 metres high – it blew down in a gale in 1666 and was rebuilt. The church is 60 metres long and seats 600 people.

The Doom Painting, of the Last Judgement, sited above the main nave archway was painted between 1430 and 1440. It was discovered in 1831 after coats of whitewash were removed, but then varnished over, and cleaned and restored in 2004. It is considered one of the finest examples in Europe.

Holy Trinity is situated at the heart of the city centre within a conservation area, and has a high footfall of tourists and worshippers. It has adapted throughout its history to preserve the beauty and significance of the building, and reflect the changing nature of the community it serves.

The Revd Graeme Anderson, Vicar, Holy Trinity Coventry said:

“We were very pleased to receive a boost to our project funding from the National Churches Trust and we hope to begin work on our new toilets soon. Our existing toilets are inadequate and inaccessible, so the provision of baby changing and disabled facilities will be a real benefit to the thousands of people who visit us each year. When the new toilets are in place we will advertise the church more widely to school parties and to concert organisers, so that many more people will come to see the beautiful interior of the building and to worship God.”